Tuesday, August 05, 2014

Altered Pages Guest Designer

To see my Craft Hoarders Anonymous Challenge #13 project, click HERE.
To see my Crafty Secrets mini album tutorial, click HERE.

Hello happy, altering people! I am so excited to be the guest designer on the Altered Pages blog today! I do love to alter stuff! Ok, I like to glue junk to other junk. {grin} Altered Pages is sponsoring the Craft Hoarders Anonymous Challenge Blog this month, and they were kind enough to ask me to be a featured designer as well. We are also doing a joint blog hop on August 18th between the Altered Pages team and my Hoarders team! woot!

I altered a large tag (8 1/2 x 3 1/5 inches) to create a fun, Halloween home decor item. You could also use this for fall decor by making a few changes to the project. I love the teal and orange combo. It's not very traditional, but I live in a place that doesn't really have seasons, so I can do what I like to decorate for fall! 


I love to make tags. They are such a fun canvas to alter. I covered this tag with Graphic 45 Steampunk Spells paper (8x8 pad) before adding all my lumpy stuff! I know the Steampunk Spells is "so last year" but I have GOBS AND GOBS of this paper, and I am going to use it, because it's still pretty and I still like it. {wink}

I added a chipboard bird cage from Leaky Shed Studio (I am a guest dt for them in September!) which I painted black. I love bird cages, and I love how the detail on the cage matches the detail on the black lace. Altered Pages sells some Leaky Shed chippies, which is fab and fun!


I had a digital copy of the Altered Pages Fairy Dolls (AP-1060) and I loved the colors on this fairy. I opened the file in Photoshop Elements 11 and enlarged her. I wanted her to be a bit bigger so that she fit the tag better. I printed her onto off-white cardstock and I used sharp scissors to fussy cut her. I used foam tape to pop her off the page. 



I found a fall spray (from the floral department of the craft store) hiding in my stash of "junk," and I had the idea that the fairy should hold one of the tiny pumpkins in her outstretched hand! Can you see it? 

I added lots more flowers and botanicals to the bird cage.


I stamped the date onto a scrap of paper and trimmed it with a die template. I sponged some ink over the top.


I also love bottle caps! I have a bin of black, squashed bottle caps that I dig into all the time. (Altered Pages sells bottle caps, too!) I used a circle punch to punch the moon sticker from a sheet of Graphic 45 Steampunk Spells stickers. The moon face fits perfectly inside the bottle cap!

I added a postage stamp sticker from the Graphic 45 sheet, plus I cut the butterfly image from the sticker sheet as well. (I have two butterflies on the project, because I had two sheets of the stickers! Ok, I have more than two sheets, but please, don't tell anyone!)

I topped the tag with some ribbon and flowers. 


And that is my project! Thanks to the Altered Pages crew for having me as a guest!



Altered Pages Products Used:
Fairy Dolls Collage Sheet (AP-1060)
Graphic 45 Steampunk Spells 8x8 Pad
Graphic 45 Steampunk Spells Cardstock Stickers
Scor-tape
Leaky Shed Bird Cage chipboard

Other Products Used:
Tag: Prima Julie Nutting Aquarelle
Flowers: Wild Orchid Crafts, Petaloo
Fall spray: Craft store
Leaves: Prima
Bottle cap: Bottle Cap Company
Silk ribbon: May Arts
Lace: Wild Orchid Crafts
Orange sheer ribbon: re-cycled gift packaging
Paint: Folk Art Enamel Licorice
Ink: Ranger Distress Dried Marigold; Memento Tuxedo Black
Stamps: Graphic 45 Happy Haunting
Dies: Stampin' Up/Sizzix Apothecary Accents
Adhesive: Scotch 3M ATG; Aleene's Fast Grab Tacky Glue

6 comments:

  1. Wow, these colors just sucked me right in. Love the bold look you achieved with these oranges! Go ahead and use all of that paper you want you make such lovely treasures with it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, how yummy! I love the color palette, and that orange bow is divine. I did see the fairy holding the pumpkin, and I thought, "How perfect!" The black lace at the bottom is so wonderfully dramatic and makes everything pop. This is just a fabby tag...and you know I love me some tags!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is FABULOUS! Love, love, love the bright colors ... especially that orange with the teal blue! GORGEOUS! And, you are so good at 'gluing junk to junk' and creating a masterpiece! LOVE IT!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is fantastic! I love Steampunk Spells! No, I'm not telling how much I have either. The Altered Pages fairy is perfect on this tag. What am I saying? Every element is perfect on this card. I think I need to go smash some bottle caps now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This tag is so pretty. I love that the orange is highlighted because it's such a fun, bright color!

    ReplyDelete