Friday, March 17, 2017

Let's Crochet!

About 3 1/2 years ago, I re-taught myself to crochet by watching YouTube videos. (I know, I know!) I had learned when I was in my pre-teens, but dropped it once I went off to college. I spent some time in the last few years, first using a loom to make baby hats, and then re-learning to crochet in order to make baby afghans and prayer shawls for donation. Like everything with me, I got bored and have not touched a crochet hook in about 8 months or more! Well, a few weeks ago, I dragged out some balls of chunky baby yarn and...
I crocheted this quickie project in about 2 weeks, working in the evenings while I binge watched junk on Netflix! This blanket measures 42" x 60" and is a bit small for a twin bed, but would be perfect for a toddler bed or for a floor mat. It is very THICK and HEAVY. And SUPER SOFT! 
I used the Bernat Baby Blanket Yarn (find here) in Baby Blue, Funny Prints, and White. I used two of the 10.5 ounce balls each of the blue and white (I did not use all of the second ball for each color), and I think I used 3 balls of the 3.5 ounce Funny Prints (which is blue, green, and white variegated yarn). 

The entire blanket is double crochet stitches! I just chained as many stitches as I needed to measure 42 inches across and then double crocheted my way back and forth until it was 60 inches long (give or take a few inches).

I crocheted a pattern of:

15 rows Baby Blue
5 rows Finny Print
15 Rows White
5 rows Finny Print
15 Rows White
5 rows Finny Print
15 rows Baby Blue

I used a size N crochet hook. This is the one I have: Susan Bates Crystalites. I did not worry about gauge or anything. I also looked up a "trick" to keep my edges even, but I cannot explain it to you! However, if you Google it, you will find a plethora of videos and tutorials! Since my edges came out very straight, I decided not to add a border to this particular blanket. Plus, this chunky yarn is hard to work with, and it gets hot and heavy on your lap! {smile}

I have crochet fever again, so I am working on another striped blanket in shades of blue and gray, plus I ordered yarn to do another one in colors of the sea. Don't hold your breath as you wait to see them....I tend to go off yarn projects when the weather turns warm! 

Thanks for stopping by! 

No comments:

Post a Comment