Friday, June 09, 2017

The End of an Era!

Definition of era

a : a fixed point in time from which a series of years is reckoned
b : a memorable or important date or event; especially one that begins a new period in the history of a person or thing
2
: a system of chronological notation computed from a given date as basis
After 18 years of homeschooling, we are at an end of an era! Our last student is graduating next week (officially, on June 16th). We began this journey in August 1999, with a 2nd grader and a preschooler. Our last child had yet to be conceived! 

We homeschooled in three different states (North Carolina, Pennsylvania, and California), under three different laws, using a myriad of materials. We met many people, saw many interesting things, took many trips, and read a GREAT MANY books. After countless hours of time, toil, and tears, and after much laughter and fellowship, our journey is over. It is so bittersweet. 

Our last "little homeschooler," who started formal education in 2004... 
Nathan 7th grade, Laura 4th grade, Jonah preschool

...has fulfilled his requirements and is graduating! (And for the record, our little man, is now the tallest of the three children. He is 6' 3" and growing!)
After much hard work and time spent perusing his varied interests, Jonah is ready to tackle the college system! He is enrolled for fall at a local community college, where he will begin his general education requirements. He follows in the footsteps of his brother, who went on to attend University of California (at Irvine) and sister, who currently attends San Jose State University. May he learn from their mistakes and successes!   
Jonah - high school graduate at age 16 1/2

Jonah has graduated a year early, making him our youngest graduate! He is a mature young man, who is ready to move to the next phase of his life. I am confident in letting him fly from the nest. My husband and I did our best to educate him, raise him in the fear of the Lord, and ready him for adulthood. Now, it is up to him! 

As his teacher, I am ready to retire my white board and Excel spreadsheets! 
I confess that homeschooling high school was not nearly as much fun as homeschooling the early grades. (I admit that our "field trips" were a lot easier to handle in the last few years!) However, it is wonderful and astonishing to watch Nathan, Laura, and Jonah all grow and succeed! Watching them grow into adults is a most amazing journey!

I don't know what journey will consume my next era, but I put this one to rest with a proud and happy heart!

10 comments:

  1. I get really get a little more depressed every day when I read and hear the things that are going on in the world. But then I read something wonderful (like your post) and it gives me hope. Thanks so much for sharing and congratulations to Jonah. I hope that all three will have happy and successful lives and make their mother very proud.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am happy you found some hope in this! There are people out there fighting the good fight, you just don't hear about them on the evening news. ;)

      Delete
  2. Congratulations to you and your children!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, what an awesome accomplishment! Congrats to all of you.
    I have nine nieces & nephews who are all homeschooled (5 by my
    sister and 4 by my SIL). The oldest two have graduated (one with
    one year of college down!) ... the youngest is only 7, so ten
    more years to go! lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Convey my prayers to your sister and SIL. It is a big job to take on, especially with a larger family. But, the blessings are also GREAT! ;)

      Delete
  4. As a former homeschooling mom, I have shared that bittersweet moment of "what's next for me?" In my case, writing my first novel has consumed that time. Savor your considerable accomplishment of preparing 3 young adults to meet the challenges before them--truly they will need the full armor of God. So, take a deep breath, rest on your laurels for a short while and enjoy whatever comes next. Blessings to your family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your words of encouragement! It means a lot to hear from other homeschool veterans!

      Delete
  5. Congratulations to you all! I have had the joy of 'watching' this journey from afar and was always in awe of your dedication and strong conviction for a good education. You have truly given a wonderful gift to your family. Enjoy 'retirement'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jane! I appreciate your kind words and long-time friendship.

      Delete