Tuesday, May 15, 2012

RRR Challenge #48

Time once again for the Really Reasonable Ribbon Challenge! This week the challenge calls for a project to celebrate Father's Day (or it can be a masculine card), plus ribbon. In the USA, Father's Day is June 17th this year.

Both my dad and my father-in-law have passed away. In fact, my father-in-law died last year, the day before Father's Day, making this year very sad for us. My dad died July 12, 1997. I really miss them both! Therefore, I will make just one card this year, for my amazing husband, the father of my three children!


I have used Natural Jute String from the RRR Store. I love jute and twine for masculine cards. I tied the token to the top of the card with the jute.


I used a Glubers adhesive dot to make a coil of jute for the bottom edges of the image.

To create the faux patina background for my card, follow these steps:

1. Apply ink to your embossing folder with Creamy Brown Chalk ink. (I have a large, juicy pad of this color which made it easy to ink the folder.) Make sure the ink is on the side of the folder that is the front or top. The first time I inked the wrong side. You want ink on the debossed areas of the cardstock, not the raised areas of the cardstock.

2. Emboss your cardstock with the folder.

3. On your cardstock, ink over the raised parts with Graphic 45 Decades Antique Moss, Bon Voyage, and Dark Cashmere antiquing ink, in that order. (Basically, you need to ink with green, blue, and dark brown, one color on top of the next, to create the patina.) Allow the ink to dry. It is very important that all ink is dry before moving to the next step.

4. Ink some of the embossed areas with Watermark or clear embossing ink.

5. Heat emboss with a metal embossing powder. I used copper.

6. Trim panel and edge with Dark Cashmere antiquing ink.


You can see some of the patina showing through and some of the embossed areas are covered with copper embossing powder.


This is a very cool technique and works with any embossing folder. You can try other ink and embossing powder colors for other looks.

I stamped a Father's Day sentiment inside the card.

If you don't have anyone in your life for whom to make a Father's Day card, then make a thinking of you card for the man or men in your life!
Cardstock: American Crafts Black; Stampin' Up Whisper White
Designer paper: Graphic 45 A Proper Gentleman 8x8: Timely Point of View, Man About Town
Stamps: Stampin' Up Thinking of Father
Ink: Clearsnap Colorbox Fluid Chalk Creamy Brown; Colorbox Graphic 45 Decades Antiquing Dark Cashmere, Antique Moss, Bon Voyage; Clearsnap Top Boss Watermark Ink; Clearsnap Colorbox Archival Dye Ink Wicked Black
Embossing powder: Hampton Art Copper
Embossing folder: Sizzix Tim Holtz Alterations Collage
Twine: Really Reasonable Ribbon Natural Jute String
Charm: Tim Holtz Idea-ology Muse Tokens
Adhesive: Scotch 3M tape, Scrapbook Adhesives by 3L foam squares; Aleene's Tacky Glue; 1" Glubers glue dots

3 comments:

  1. That is a great technique! I'm going to try it today. This card is so fabulous...all that texture from the embossing and the jute. Thanks for another dose of inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great card Gloria! Love the technique! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a classy masculine card. My first time here, I found you via http://www.reasonableribbon.blogspot.com which I found via pollyspaper blog. So glad to have found your site and awesome creations, I will definitely visit your site more often.

    ReplyDelete