Friday, May 01, 2015

Graphic 45 Baby Card Class Tutorial

Hello! Well, it is May 1st! How did that happen so fast??! It has been hot here in San Diego County, but cooler temps are on the horizon. Today is actually a lovely day with a nice breeze. Not as cool as I like, but still, very pleasant!

Last weekend, I taught two, back-to-back workshops, and it rained off and on all day. I was happy to be indoors! As you know, if you read the blog regularly, I don't teach LIVE very often these days. But the charity event, benefiting the Pregnancy Resource Center of Vista, CA brings me out of retirement each year!


This year I taught a card class with 26 ladies in the morning and 27 in the afternoon! It was quite a crowd! Many of the ladies are NOT paper crafters, which means my kits must be EASY for them to use, but I also want the projects to be something that a more advanced crafter would love to make. Easy, right?!
 

We made this very sweet baby girl card first as it is the hardest of the set to assemble. I thought the fussy cutting of paper doll dresses would cause a riot, but surprisingly many of them loved doing it as it brought them memories of their childhood days of cutting out Betsy McCall dolls! (If you are too young to remember Betsy McCall, then, well, that's just sad!)


Each card in the set came with a gift card holder for the inside. I pre-stamped all the sentiments, just to save time on sharing my stamps and inks!


This baby boy card, using Graphic 45 Mother Goose and the NEW Precious Memories was the hit of the class! The first class of the day contained 2 high school ladies as part of the group. They got a kick out making the "lassos" out of twine!


I have to thank my 14 year old son, Jonah because he cut out about half of the gift card holders using a die and my Grand Calibur. He did a great job with this one, making sure the words were straight! I had to make 300 individual card packets! (I am teaching the class again the end of June and decided to do all 75 kits at once!)


More paper dolls to cut out! I also used the stamp set I designed for Sweet 'n Sassy Stamps for the last two cards. It is called Birthday Word Art. The ladies got a kick out of the fact that I had designed ACTUAL stamps.


And the inside of this one.

I saved the most simple card for last. By the end they were tuckered out! My oldest lady was in her early 80s and the youngest was a sweet little lady of about 10 years old. She came with her mom and kept up as if she'd done this all her life! A few ladies had little English, so that was a challenge. My 19 year old daughter, Laura, was my helper for the day. She did a great job wrangling the group.


I am happy to report that 180 ladies attended the all-day event and we raised over $28,000 for the charity! I know that the 53 ladies who attended my workshop had fun, and so did I. It was hard work to create such a complex project for charity, but the result was well worth it. 

I donate my time, talent, and treasure to this event, and once again I had some extra help from Graphic 45! They helped supply me with paper to enable me to offer such a great class for FREE. I will also be teaching the event staff their own free class in June. 


If you did not get a chance to attend the workshop, please feel free to download the class tutorial HERE  

I have NO photos from the day of the event. My daughter and I are terrible about that! You'd think that in this day and age we'd have at least ONE selfie! 

Have a super day and a Blessed weekend!   

No comments:

Post a Comment