Friday, June 21, 2013

Kraft and Mixed Media

I have a WorldWin Papers project to share today. I wanted to try a few mixed media techniques so got my craft on and did it. None of these techniques are new, nor are they new to me. I just don't play around with mixed media very often. I confess, I love the look, but hate the mess! 

I also love kraft cardstock. I use a lot of it and think it perfect for mixed media techniques. WorldWin sent me several packs of kraft cardstock, so I have plenty to play with. {wink}


My daughter graduated high school this month and she had a few of her wallet-sized photos on the desk. I snagged one and made this mixed media layout for her. I used WorldWin Kraft cardstock as the background. I also used Treasures Pitch Black, and Heritage Black.

I started out by placing a 3 3/4 x 2 3/4 inch rectangle down on the paper where I wanted the photo to go. I did this so that I would have a point of reference for all the mixed media mess I planned to create. 


I sprayed the paper with some mists, stamped with paint and ink. I just had a party with my "grunge" stamps.

I confess that it is really hard for me to create something without using a lot of printed papers. However, the mixed media techniques give such dimension and depth, that I only used a few pieces of printed paper on the project.

I did add a bit of paper from a few older Graphic 45 collections. My daughter loves old movies, music, and grungy stuff. So I tried to pull some papers that would reflect what she likes. I sprayed some of the paper, inked some, and even painted on some of it. The Graphic 45 paper is so heavy that it took the "abuse" very nicely. 


I also used some modeling paste! The paper held up to all the "wet" very well. I was impressed! I had some bits of mesh (it has a name but I forget, mesh with circles punched out of it...I think it is how they make sequins), anyway...I placed the mesh down on the cardstock and spread modeling paste over it with a putty knife. I used a thin layer of paste and then dried it with a heat tool. 

Once the paste was dry, I rubbed it with mica powder and dabbed it with paint. The cool thing that happened...under the paste was spray mist and ink...well, as I dried the paste, the ink sort of rose to the top! Amazing!

Thanks for looking!

I hope you have a chance to check out all that WorldWin Papers has to offer!

WorldWin Cardstock: Kraft, Treasures Pitch Black, ColorMates Heritage Black
Designer paper: Graphic 45 Curtain Call, Reflections, Le Cirque, Olde Curiosity Shoppe
Stamps: Hampton Art (Art Warehouse); Close to My Heart Express Postage; Kaisercraft Graffiti; My Favorite Things Distressed Background Blocks; Stampers Anonymous Tim Holtz Mixed Media
Ink: Clearsnap Top Boss Twinkle Watermark Star Dust; Clearsnap Colorbox Chalk Maroon; Stampin Up Whisper White; Tsukineko Memento Tuxedo Black
Sprays: Tattered Angels Beetle Black; Ranger Color Wash Cranberry
Mica powder: Pearl Ex Copper
Modeling paste: Liquitex
Paint: Ranger Distress Antiqued Bronze, Tarnished Brass
Paper flowers: Kaisercraft; The Paper Studio
Chipboard: Imaginarium Designs
Die cutting templates: My Favorite Things Fishtail Flag Stax, Layers, Jumbo Banner
Adhesive: tape runner, white glue, foam tape, adhesive dots

6 comments:

Mary Ann said...

Beautiful layout!!!

Melody said...

Great page Gloria! Loving the mixed media, but I agree with you, messy!

Margaret Mifsud said...

Fabulous layout Gloria. Loving the background, it's totally gorgeous. ox

Kathy/NorthCarolina said...

Love it when you go grungy! Mixed media is very addictive...it's less structured than card making or scrapbooking and I find it opens new doors of creativity. I'm very impressed with this piece, Gloria...it's fab! But why am I surprised!

~ Jo ~ said...

This layout is gorgeous Gloria! I love all the different mixed media techniques that you used on this layout and the picture of your daughter is beautiful!

Hugs,
Jo
♥ Jo's Scrap Shack ♥

Karen T said...

Great layout Gloria! nice use of the texture paste too... :) Congrats to Laura graduating...