Friday, April 21, 2017

Stop and Smell the Roses

If you are looking for the Gypsy Soul Laser Cuts Project and Video Tutorial, 
please click HERE.

You know how there are times, when you have a project that you cannot wait to get to, but things conspire against you, and you just cannot seem to get the project started? I have one of those to share today...that I finally completed!

Ever since I came home from Copic Boot Camp last November, I have been working on my coloring. About a month ago, I came across some online classes at Kit and Clowder, and signed up to take a few of them. Ok, you also know how I like to buy stamps and stuff, and then it takes ages for me to get around to using them? Well...
I mostly signed up for the online classes, because the February class was a tutorial for coloring this digital image from Power Poppy! This image has been in my hoard for a while now, and I have never made the time to color it! The cup image on the left side was the pencil class at Kit and Clowder for February! Well, long story long...  
I tried colored pencils, but it was not working out for me, so I ended up coloring the image with...you guessed it, Copic markers! I love how it turned out! I made a card using Sketch One from the Power Poppy Power and Spark Challenge this month! 

Edited to add: this card was featured on the Power Poppy Blog on April 28th! Wow awesome is that?!

I sized the image at approximately 4 1/4" tall by 3" wide (give or take), and printed it out onto white cardstock. The finished card is 6" x 5".
I colored the rose in the cup a hot pink color and the rose on the table, I colored a more vintage, soft pink. I sure love my Copics! (Copics used are listed below.) The sentiment is clear stamp, that I stamped on later, using black ink. I put my colored image into my MISTI to get it all lined up properly. 

However, I cannot stand to let anything get the best of me. I just...had to give Prismacolor colored pencils one more try...
I printed the full image onto white cardstock at about 4 1/4" tall by 5 1/2" wide. I added one of the sentiments that come with the digital stamp set to the lower right corner of the image. I created a 5 1/2" x 6 3/4" card using Sketch Three from the Power Poppy Challenge.
I gave this a go a few times, but was not loving it. I found that the more "toothy" papers were not working for me because I am used to Copic blending. I watched both the pencil and the marker videos from Kit and Clowder February monthly class, and figured out a technique that seemed to work for me. Once I switched to a smoother paper, I think I got better results! 

The class examples were to color pink flowers, but I was sort of sick of pink, so I picked some orange and yellow tones. I did color one pale pink bloom. Unfortunately, I did not write down all the pencils I used for the project. Let's just say, there were a bunch of pencils harmed to make this card! 

I really enjoyed the pencil work, but it's more time consuming than working with markers. And I totally despise having to sharpen the pencils all the time! Still, I will give pencils another try in the future!

Thanks for stopping by today! Have a groovy weekend!

If you are patiently waiting for the next Graphic 45 Calendar Folio tutorial, please hang onto your glue guns! I got totally sidetracked this month with Easter, and migraines, and some coloring projects! I plan to post April AND May either April 30th or May 7th. If all goes well, I will get June out later in May and then stay on track for the rest of the year. Best laid plans, and all that jazz!



Card 1:
Markers: Copic  Colorless blender, (background: W00, W01, E40, B0000, B000; Cup: YR21, YR23, YR24, YR27, RV000, RV10, RV11; Dark pink flower: R37, R59, R81, RV55; Vintage pink flower: R81, R85, RV32, RV34, RV52; Leaves: G28, YG0000, YG03, YG05)
Ink: Memento Tuxedo Black
Digital stamp: Power Poppy Everything's Rosy
Clear stamp: My Favorite Things Rainbow Greetings
Cardstock: Hammermill Color Copy Digital Cover 100# White, Stampin' Up Whisper White, WorldWin Smooth Midnight
Printed paper: My Favorite Things Itsy Bitsy Polka Dots, Plaid Patterns Merry and Bright
Twine: Really Reasonable Ribbon Pink Burlap String
Button: stash
Dies: My Favorite Things Jumbo Fishtail Stax, Elizabeth Craft Designs Stitched Rectangles
Adhesive: ATG tape, hot glue, Ranger Multi Medium, Scor-tape 

Card 2:
Colored Pencils: Prismacolor (various)
Digital stamp: Power Poppy Everything's Rosy
Cardstock: Stampin' Up Whisper White, WorldWin Smooth Midnight
Printed paper: My Favorite Things Itsy Bitsy Polka Dots, Tiny Check
Ribbon: Really Reasonable Ribbon Peach and Yellow Sheer Ombre
Enamel dots: Echo Park Celebrate Easter, Whimsy Stamps pastel
Dies: Elizabeth Craft Designs Stitched Rectangles, lace border unknown
Adhesive: ATG tape, hot glue, Ranger Multi Medium, Scor-tape 

11 comments:

  1. I love Kit & Clowder!!! Fabulous colouring well done u & gorgeous finished make xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful work, Gloria!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Two absolutely stunning beauties! Your pencil coloring turned out as magnificent as your Copics. I, too, find I like a smoother paper for the blending. Pencils do take a lot of time. Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Leslie! I have only used pencils a few times, so to tackle this large project was...difficult! But, the result turned out far better than I expected. ;)

      Delete
  4. Well Well. You have certainly mastered coloring! Your colors, shading, everything is amazing!! You make me want to dust off my colored pencils!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are both so lovely! Great shading and layouts. Hugs, Autumn

    ReplyDelete
  6. Truly gorgeous! The colors are vivid and bright, adore the papers to match. Both of these are wonderful cards, fabulous job. Thanks for playing in our Power and Spark challenge this month.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Absolutely gorgeous, Gloria, and I love both of these cards! Beautifully done with pencils, which are really challenging...but you've more than succeeded with them. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  8. These cards are so happy and colorful. I love them!
    Einat Kessler

    ReplyDelete