Saturday, December 01, 2018

Monthly Coloring Series - December

It is December 1st! Please, tell my how that is possible!! The year has gone by so quickly! The good news is that it's time for the next installment of my monthly coloring series! 

For those of you just joining me, I will be coloring one image each month, using the Power Poppy digital flower images, found HERE. If you missed any of the previous projects, see the links at the end of the post. 

Let's see DECEMBER project! 
I love the rich, deep red (with a hint of pink) in this poinsettia. I know that poinsettias come in various colors from deep red to white. 
The bracts (leaves) range from flaming red to orange, pale green, cream, pink, white, and marbled. I have even see a "bonsai" variety! Here in the USA, we normally display these lovely plants around Christmas time, but I can see them making a statement for other holidays, too! 
I chose the Poinsettia and Pomegranates digital stamp set for my December image,which is currently a $6 download. This image is also part of the clear set, Poinsettia. You may like the Ultimate Poinsettia digital set, which is also available as a clear set, called Winter Wonderland.
Using Adobe Illustrator, I created my panel at about 5 1/4" x 5 1/4". I rotated the image slightly and sized it at approximately 4 1/4" wide.  

The finished panel is 6 1/8" x 6 1/8". I have used a stitched square die to cut out the main image panel (which measures 5 1/4" x 5 1/4"). My plan is to display each monthly image at my desk, as shown above.
I am using "Great Vibes" as my font, which I sized at about 45pt. I printed the panel onto Hammermill 100# cardstock with my Epson ET-3700 using black ink. (So far, I have had excellent results using Copics with this printer ink and paper combination.)
My images are colored with a combination of Copic Markers and Prismacolor Pencils. I first lay down the Copic markers, and then go back and add depth and highlight with the pencils. I finish with more highlights using a gel pen.

I wanted the poinsettia to have a deep red/pink color and to look soft, like velvet. Pomegranates range in color from a greenish/orange to pink during their life cycle. I decided these were baby pomegranates, and were unripe, so I colored them orange-pink with a green tint.
Here are the color combinations I have used for the finished project (listed in this order: Copics, Prismacolor Pencils, Gel Pens.):

Poinsettia: R29, R37, R59, R89, YR24, Y13, Y17; Primrose, White
Pomegranates: R24, R27, R35, YG17, YG21, YG23, YG67; Chartreuse; White gel pen
Fir: G24, G29; Prussian Green
Background: BG0000, BG000, Colorless blender
My cardstock panels are black, dark red, and dark green. I added a satin bow and a few velvet leaves. I topped the bow with a few bells and a pomegranate "berry." 

If you missed the September post, click HERE
If you missed the October post, click HERE.
If you missed the November post, click HERE.
Thanks for stopping by! I will have a new image January 1st!



Digital image: Power Poppy Poinsettia and Pomegranates
Cardstock: Hammermill 100# Digital Color Copy; dark red, dark green (unknown); WorldWin Papers Midnight
Markers: Copic (see list above)
Pencils: Prismacolor (see list above)
Gel pen: Sakura Gelly Roll White
Ribbon: Really Reasonable Ribbon Red Satin
Bells: craft supply
Berry: floral supply
Velvet leaves: Petaloo
Enamel dots: Simple Stories Say Cheese III
Die: Elizabeth Craft Designs Stitched Squares
Tools: We R Memory Keepers Guide Layers
Adhesive: ATG tape, Scor-tape, hot glue

No comments:

Post a Comment