Friday, February 05, 2010

Friday Embossing and Koh-I-Noor Pencils

It's Friday and that means it's time for the CropStop Embossing project. I am (hopefully) in the mountains at my retreat. I'm typing this for you on Monday, over-achiever that I am!

I have used the circles border folder from the Cuttlebug Pop Culture border set for today's card. I embossed the border, then rubbed it with a bit of chalk ink. This gives just an accent to my card.

My main technique for today is really to show you the Koh-I-Noor pencils I used to color my image. (This image is a digi image from The Stamping Boutique). I don't have Copics, and honestly, I'd rather spend my money on something other than markers. Plus, I am pretty crap at coloring with markers anyway. But, I found these amazing colored pencils for under $11 at my local Michael's and had to buy them! They are AWESOME!I got this set of 24 (which cost from $16-$20, but can be found online for around $11 at places like Dick Blick). These pencils are a very soft "lead" and have very vibrant color. I blend them using odorless mineral spirits (OMS) and blending stumps. I think the results are pretty fantastic. I can control the amount of shading and the intensity of the color pretty well. I do supplement with Crayola and EK Success pencils, and SU markers for some colors, since a set of 24 pencils does not have every color you need or want.

CropStop has a new section on the Message Board called Studio Playground. There is a forum there for learning to use Copics. But, I have found that many of the techniques used with Copics are also helpful for using other markers and pencils. I hope you check out the new playground!

This card is also for the 365 Cards Day 340 - which says to use hearts on your card.

2 comments:

  1. well i hope your having a blast on your get a way :) this is one cute card and look at your coloring! WOW!!! i must get me some OMS and blending stumps to use with my pencils

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow, this lil' guy is adorable... I jusy love him! Very cute card, nice layout, everything works perfectly!

    ReplyDelete