Wednesday, March 03, 2010

My Lifetime Story Challenge #9

Challenge #9 for Faith Sisters My Lifetime Story is to scrap about our favorite childhood memories. I will admit that this is a page I made some time ago. Not only did I not get a chance to make a new page, but I really do not have any photos of "fun family events." My family did not take very many photos until I was in my teens. We did not have a camera that I recall. I think one of my older brothers had a "box camera" that they used sometimes, but photos are pretty rare.

This photo is one of those rare professional portraits I found in my mom's photo box. I am pretty sure that my "aunt and uncle" took me to see Santa this year and purchased the photo. It's the only photo I have of any visits to Santa, so it's is very priceless to me. I was looked after by some friends of my father during this time of my life, and they treated me like the little girl they never had. Deedee was from China and married my dad's friend, and they became my honorary aunt and uncle. I am named for Deedee as my middle name is Dee. They showered me with attention, love, and gifts during my mom's last pregnancy. My mom was pretty ill, I think, and she took a long time to recover after my brother was born. In fact, my "aunt" thought that my mother was going to allow her to raise me! She did take very good care of me and I have her to thank for the fact that I eat so many unusual foods! She has me to thank for teaching her to read English! When I was a bit older, I in fact, taught her to read. I hope to scrap a few more pages to tell this story better.

This photo was taken when I was nearly three. I remember wearing that red velvet hat, coat, and pants! I loved visiting Santa. He always gave us a candy cane and a coloring book. I used Pinecone Press paper for the background. The tags are small shipping tags that I distressed with Tim Holtz ink and water. I stamped on them with paint. I printed the journaling onto vellum, then attached that to cross stitch cloth.

Thanks for looking!

1 comment:

  1. this is precious G !! and what sweet memories of your aunt and uncle :)

    ReplyDelete