Thursday, June 12, 2014

The Rubber Cafe - June Guest DT - Happy Father's Day!


Good morning! I am the June Guest Designer at The Rubber Cafe! I have been having fun with the NEW June Creative Cafe Kit, Let's Hear it for the Boys! I have made a Father's Day card, but you could change this to any sentiment for the guy in your life! My dad and my father-in-law have passed away, but my husband is an AMAZING dad to our three kids! 


I love the truck stamp in the Just Men stamp set! It is the perfect stamp for "guy cards"!


I used black dye ink to stamp the truck image onto the text paper. I colored the image with Copics, which allowed the text to show through. I love the look. 


I wrapped a bit of the gray seam binding around the panels and placed a decorative brad (all from the kit) at the right edge as shown. The sentiment is also from the Just Men stamp set.


Check out the surprise inside! 


Pull the tab to reveal a hidden message for Dad!


To create the hidden message follow the steps below. You can use a special die template (from Papertrey Ink, called Movers and Shakers Sliders), or you can cut the pieces by hand. First, line the inside of the card with the striped decorative paper, trimmed to 5 3/8 x 4 1/8 inches.


Start by stamping the sentiment from the Gone Fishing stamp set (the add-on stamp set for June) onto white cardstock with black dye ink. Trim the sentiment into strips as shown. Decide where you want to locate the hidden message and glue the paper strips in place.


Use a die cut template to cut a "slider" from red cardstock and stamp the truck image onto the front with black dye ink. (If you need to create your own, the slider is 2 7/8 x 3 7/8 inches. The "door" is 1 7/8 x 2 7/8 inches, with  scores at 1/2 and 1 1/2 inches from the top.)



To attach the slider to the inside of the card, you need to place double-sided tape on the back sides and bottom of the "slider." Make sure to us 1/4-inch tape, placed as close to the outside edge as possible.


Attach the slider over the hidden message.


Create a pull from the dotted designer paper, using a die cut template. (If you need to create your own, the approximate dimensions are 2 1/2 x 3 1/8 inches, score the tab at 3/8-inch from the bottom.) Trim a piece of white cardstock to 1 3/4 x 2 1/2 inches. Stamp the message in black dye ink. Attach the message to the center of the pull. Write the word "pull" onto the top tab with a black pen.


Slip the pull into the slider. Fold the bottom tab of the pull up and place double-sided adhesive onto the back. Attach the tab to the bottom of the slider door, matching the corners. 


Create a cover for the slider, by cutting a second slider, and trimming the door off with a craft knife.


And that is how you create a hidden message!


Happy Father's Day to all the dads out there! I hope you have an amazing weekend!

Thanks for joining me today!



Stamps: The Rubber Cafe Creative Cafe June Kit of the month Just Men, Gone Fishing
Paper: The Rubber Cafe Creative Cafe June Kit of the month Echo Park Getaway 6x6 pad
Cardstock: The Rubber Cafe Creative Cafe June Kit of the month dark gray, red, and white
Markers: Copic
Embellishments: Echo Park Getaway decorative brads
Seam binding: The Rubber Cafe Creative Cafe June Kit of the month
Tools/Dies: My Favorite Things Die-namics Bracket Tab; Papertrey Ink Movers and Shakers Sliders Die Collection
Adhesive: Scotch 3M ATG tape; Scor-tape

7 comments:

  1. What a fabulous masculine card, Gloria!! Love the truck image and hidden message!! ~~ Blessings, Tracey

    Garden of Grace

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely love your card with the hidden message. Masculine cards are always so hard, but you can take anything and make it wonderful. Love the hidden message, too. TFS

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think my favorite part of this project is the truck stamp! It just screams masculine and adds so much to the finished card. Well done girl!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous9:32 AM

    Really great card and I love the Truck looking translucent background peeks through.
    Very inspiring card

    ReplyDelete
  5. Terrific card - love the truck on the text paper! I know I have that Movers & Shakers die somewhere - might just be inspired to pull it out :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Terrific card - love the truck on the text paper! I know I have that Movers & Shakers die somewhere - might just be inspired to pull it out :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. You know I love me a hidden pocket! Super cute masculine cards, and perfectly clean and simple...just the way guys like 'em!

    ReplyDelete