Friday, August 24, 2018

Summertime Mini Album Tutorial

Good morning, Crafters! I have a sweet, summertime tutorial for you today! If you are trapped inside with the air conditioning roaring, then it's the perfect time to whip up this little cutie! 

My monthly mini showcases the Authentique Summertime Collection! This is the perfect collection for these hot, humid, end-of-summer days!

This summer collection comes with six different sheets and 12 patterns, However, the collection has TWO sheets of cut-aparts, Summertime Five and Summertime Six. If you purchase the paper pad, you get four of each pattern. That is plenty of paper to make this mini album!
This mini is 5" tall and 3 1/2" wide (similar to the Meadow Mini  Album, shared HERE). There are three pages, with lots of fold-outs and flaps, plus TWO waterfall sections! 

Let's get started on the tutorial.

Cut two pieces of medium weight chipboard to 5" x 3 1/2". Cut one piece of chipboard to 5" x 1". 

Trim dark blue cardstock to 7" x 10 1/4" and attach the chipboard pieces to the cardstock as shown above. Make sure to maintain a 1/8" gap between the spine piece and the cover pieces of chipboard.  

Trim the cardstock corners at an angle and attach double-sided adhesive to the tabs.  
Wrap the chipboard as shown. Gently fold the covers while scoring in the 1/8" gutter (or channel) between the spine and the covers.  
Trim decorative paper to fit over the center spine section. Do this BEFORE adding your hinge mechanism. DO NOT add paper to your inside covers until AFTER you add your hinge mechanism.

Create a hinge mechanism from dark blue cardstock. Cut the cardstock to 4 1/4" x 4 1/2". (The 4 1/4" measurement is the height of the hinge.) Score on the longer side at: 1", 1 1/8", 1 3/8", 1 5/8", 2", 2 1/4", 2 1/2", 2 7/8", 3 1/8", 3 3/8", 3 1/2". This will make three hinges that are 1/4" all with a 3/8" space between hinges.


Attach the hinge to the spine of the book. Line up the scored 1/8" "gutters" on your hinge to the gutters on your album. Gently burnish and fold all your score lines. Trim decorative paper to add to the inside of your covers.  

Trim three pieces of dark blue cardstock to 4 7/8" x 3 3/8" and add one piece to each hinge. Glue these "base pages" to the left side of each hinge. (Don't worry. Your decorative papers will cover the other side of the hinge.)
Create a waterfall section for the front cover. Trim the dark blue cardstock to 4" x 3 1/8". Score each piece at 1/4" from the top edge. Use a corner rounder to round the bottom edges.




Cut four waterfall pages. Attach the first to the top edge of the dotted paper by the 1/4" tab. Add each waterfall page just under the previous page. Add magnets to keep the waterfall closed.
Cut a piece of dark blue cardstock to 4 7/8" x 3 3/8" and score on the long side at 1/4" from the right edge. Round the left-hand corners. Attach the 1/4" tab to the left edge of the first base page.

Cut a second piece of dark blue cardstock to 4 7/8" x 3 3/8" and score on the long side at 1/4" from the left edge. Round the right-hand corners. Attach the 1/4" tab to the right edge of the first base page.


Add magnets as desired. Close the left flap, then the right flap to finish the first base page.
Turn the page and work on the BACK of the first base page. 

Cut a piece of dark blue cardstock to 4 5/8" x 3 1/8" and score on the bottom at 1/4" from the edge. Round the top corners. Attach the 1/4" tab to the bottom edge of the BACK of the first base page.

Add a pocket to the bottom of the second base page. Cut dark blue cardstock to 2 3/4" x 3 7/8" and score on three sides at 1/4" from the edges. Fold on the score lines and attach the pocket to the page as shown.
Flip the second base page over and work on the BACK.

Cut a piece of dark blue cardstock to 4 7/8" x 5 1/2" and score on the long side at 2" and 5 1/4" from the left edge. Round the left-hand corners. Attach the 1/4" tab to the left edge of the second base page.


Cut a second piece of dark blue cardstock to 4 7/8" x 3 3/8" and score on the long side at 1/4" from the left edge. Round the right-hand corners. Attach the 1/4" tab to the right edge of the second base page.

Add magnets as desired. Close the right flap, then the accordion fold the left flap to finish the second base page

Add a pocket to the bottom of the THIRD base page. Cut dark blue cardstock to 2 3/4" x 3 7/8" and score on three sides at 1/4" from the edges. Fold on the score lines and attach the pocket to the page as shown.
Flop the page and work on the BACK of the last page.

Cut a piece of dark blue cardstock to 4 7/8" x 3 3/8" and score on the long side at 1/4" from the right edge. Round the left-hand corners. Attach the 1/4" tab to the left edge of the third base page.


Cut a second piece of dark blue cardstock to 4 7/8" x 3 3/8" and score on the long side at 1/4" from the left edge. Round the right-hand corners. Attach the flap to the right edge of the first base page.


Add magnets as desired. Close the left flap to finish the last base page.

Create a waterfall section for the inside back cover. Trim the dark blue cardstock to 4" x 3 1/8". Score each piece at 1/4" from the top edge. Use a corner rounder to round the bottom edges.

Cut four waterfall pages. Attach the first to the top edge of the dotted paper by the 1/4" tab. Add each waterfall page just under the previous. Add magnets to keep the waterfall closed.
Now your mini book is ready to decorate!  
I trimmed a piece of white, adhesive-back canvas to cover the spine of my book. 
Then, I added the yellow and white dotted paper to the front and back covers. I kept the cover simple by adding a word grid sticker and a bit of pretty ribbon. (The sticker is VERY OLD and I have no idea where it's from!) I double-matted the sticker and added it to a bit of scrap chipboard before gluing it to the cover.

I found the cute crab button in my stash and thought he would like to end his days decorating the bow!

I used a banner die to cut out the spine decor. I used a Tim Holtz brad to dangle some charms from the spine. (I have a bin of charms and a bin of beads, most of which have been with me since the early 1990's! I add to them from time to time, so I really don't remember where these particular items came from!)
I added the fun Summertime papers to the inside sections of my book, and then just added a few stickers and other bits and bobs to decorate each page.  
The Summertime cut-aparts are the perfect size for my pages... and to fit into the pockets! 
I have no idea how long I've had some of these stickers! I almost never reach for stickers, but I am happy I still had these in my stash as they worked perfectly for this little book! I found clear stickers, and 3-D sticker, and word art...just a treasure trove! 


With TWO waterfall features, there is a lot of space for photos and journaling!

If you want to see each page, watch my little walk-through video below!



I hope you are inspired to beat the heat and make a little end-of-summer mini!
Thanks for joining me today! 



Authentique Supplies Used:

Summertime 12x12 Paper Pad

Additional Supplies: 

Adhesive-back canvas: Claudine Helmuth Studio
Cardstock: WorldWin ColorMates Textured Twill Navy, Neenah Desert Sand
Ribbon: Really Reasonable Ribbon Navy Satin with Stitched Center (similar)
Buttons, beads, charms: craft and jewelry supply
Ring fastener: Tim Holtz
Stickers: various
Dies: My Favorite Things Fishtail Stax and Layers
Corner rounder: Kadomaru  Pro
Score board: Martha Stewart
Chipboard: Grafix
Adhesive: Scor-tape, ATG tape, white glue

17 comments:

  1. Such an adorable mini!! You did a fantastic job making this! Thank you for taking the time to not only create this, but to share your tutorial also!

    ReplyDelete
  2. love this, thank you for the great tutorial

    ReplyDelete
  3. So lovely, Gloria. This paper is so summer! You're project reminds me of my Graphic 45 summer beach paper that would work so well for this design. Your excellent tutorial encourages me to try this. tfs

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much, a lovely album and great tutorial

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you! Videos are good, but step by step pictures are great.

    ReplyDelete
  6. BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAutiful job!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. thanks for the tutorial, i did one for myself

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful Album. I am going to try this one. Thanks for the tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have seen your tutorial a few times, saved it and then forgot about it and then came across it again ... Time and time again I promised that this was the time I would not save but actually do it ... Well it is 23.09 on the 10.08.19 and I have made and finished my mini album according to your tutorial ... Thank you for sharing and inspiring ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bernice! Good for you!!! I am so happy you were able to make one for yourself!! That makes my heart happy!

      Delete
  10. so cute, love this

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such a beautiful project. Thank you for sharing. I would love to know how you made the bow? It may be something simple but I have not been able to recreate the look.

    ReplyDelete
  12. beautiful album! Thank you for the tutorial which I used for my own album.
    You can see it on my blog
    http://scrapevasion.canalblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. A hello from Reunion island under the french tropics !!! Thank you for this great tuto Patricia45 has shared with us. Mine is on my blog : it's called " Recettes italiennes " italian recipes ( august 2020 ). thanks a lot ! http://www.nicham974.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. I just discovered your blog and this album tutorial. Love your mini album. Thank you so much for taking the time to make such an awesome tutorial to share with us. I know it takes a lot of time to put together and so appreciate your kindness and talent!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is such a cute album. I'm thinking about making it a gifts for my family for Christmas. Thank you for sharing your gift 🥰

    ReplyDelete