Saturday, January 23, 2021

Card Stash Saturday: Wintertime Plaid

Hello! I am going to try some new ideas on the blog this year, one being "Card Stash Saturday"! I hope to post a NEW card idea at least one Saturday a month in an effort to build up our card stashes! 

I am always needing cards for men and older boys, and cards for some of the "lesser" holidays during the year. Plus, I am currently trying to find ways to use my holiday stamps and images for winter cards, so I am going with that idea today! 

Plus...PLAID! Who loves plaid in the winter?!! I grew up in a small town near Woolrich, PA which is well known for their plaid clothing! Pretty much everyone owned some sort of plaid jacket, blanket, or flannel shirt! It was a sea of plaid in the winter! So, while I no longer wear much plaid, I still LOVE plaid!

I originally created this card for the Power Poppy blog, but it did not get used, and since it is a bit seasonally specific, I decided to use it for or FIRST Card Stash Saturday! 

These amazing plaid and striped thermos bottles from the Power Poppy Cup of Good Cheer digital stamp set are the perfect images for a winter theme! These images are technically for Christmas, but they can be used for a general winter vibe, too! And seriously...plaid, stripes, polka dots...heaven!

I decided to color the image in some frosty pastels to make it more winter-like rather than Christmas themed! It was a bit strange to use my pale colors after months of working with bright, saturated color! 

I printed the image at 4" x 5 1/4" and cut it out with a pierced rectangle die. I had a brief thought of actually stitching around the edge with some embroidery floss, but my saner brain said...ahhh...NO! 

I used a base color of Copic markers, then added colored pencil on top for the fine details. I used Schpirerr Farben oil pencils because they are a harder pencil which hold a sharp point. (For the color list, see the Supplies below.) 

A note for my coloring supply obsessed readers: The Schpirerr Farben pencils are a mid-range priced pencil, and they are on sale right now on Amazon for under $50 for the 96 set! I think I paid around $60 for them back in July, and the regular price right now is nearly $80, so it's a good deal! 

The card is a standard 5" x 7" size, and flat for easy mailing! I added some plaid background paper and some cocoa colored cardstock (say that three times)! I have been digging into my stash of 6x6 printed paper pads all winter in an effort to use it up. It's a lost cause! I have so much! Look for a "Use Your Stash" monthly project day, coming soon!

Since I used 6" x 6" paper, I cut the plaid paper to 4 7/8" x 6" and the smaller strip of polka dot paper to 4 7/8" 3 3/8" to fit across the 7" card.

The sentiment is from the Power Poppy Cuddle in the Cabin clear stamp set. I stamped the sentiment onto the cocoa cardstock and heat embossed with white embossing powder before cutting it out with a word strip die.

I added two white panels to the inside to make it easy to write a message or stamp a sentiment. I used a white gel pen for some highlights and a clear glitter gel pen for some sparkle. And...no lumpy ribbon or other embellishments! I really need more flat, standard-sized cards in my stash! I have so many cards that require a special mailer and extra postage! It is nice to just grab a card, put it in an envelop, add stamp, and mail! 

If you need a more masculine version of plaid, check out this card that I created for the Power Poppy Quiet Christmas release.

For details about this card, click HERE.

I hope you enjoyed our FIRST Card Stash Saturday project! Have a great week! I can't wait to see what you create! 


Power Poppy stamps: Cup of Good CheerCuddle in the Cabin
Cardstock: WorldWin Brown, Hammermill 100# White
Embossing powder: WOW Opaque Bright White Super Fine
Ink: Versamark watermark
Printed paper: My Favorite Things Plaid Patterns: Merry and Bright, Authentique Swaddle Boy
Dies: Elizabeth Craft Stitched Rectangles, My Favorite Things Sentiment Strips
Pens: Sakura Gelly Roll Star Dust, Arteza white gel
Alcohol markers: Copic colorless blender, C000, C0, E49, E47, E44, E43, E42, E40, RV95, RV93, RV91, R85, R83, R81, B37, B34, B02, B01, B00, B000, B0000, BV00, BV000, BV0000, G0000, Y0000
Colored pencils: Prismacolor Premiere white; Schpirerr Farben Silver Vizsla, Ruby Brown, Dark Brown, French Lavendar, Pink Bubblegum, Turquoise, French Blue, Indigo, Eucalyptus Tree, Cypress Tree


1 comment:

  1. Yes, I enjoyed your FIRST Card Stash Saturday project.

    ReplyDelete