Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Little Darlings Altered Box

(If you are looking for the Really Reasonable Ribbon Challenge, please scroll down.)

I am in my last month as part of the Graphic 45 Design Team, and have a few more projects to turn in. I made this 12x12 altered box this past week as one of my May assignments. 

I used a Graphic 45 Altered Art Matchbook Box Staples (12 x 12 size) to create a dimensional scrapbook "page." I love making dimensional pages, and I am the first to admit that they really don't fit into my albums very well. I have started to create more pages that I can place into shadowboxes rather than into scrapbooks. I decided that the 12 x 12 matchbook box was perfect for altering into a scrapbook "page" suitable for hanging on the wall or placing on a table.


Before attaching my paper, I painted the edges of the box with white gesso. Any edges or corners that show will be white, to match the sweet Little Darlings and Secret Garden papers that I chose.


I painted all the Graphic 45 metal staples and most of the chipboard elements with white gesso also. 


Since my box is not designed to open, I only decorated the edges that show. I did cover all the surfaces on the inside of the box with gesso and paper. Anyone peeking inside the box will see a fully decorated box.


I added a photo mat to the inside of the box. Since I am not keeping this box for myself, I did not add a photo. I adore the chipboard phrase "A Mother's Love Lasts a Lifetime." 

I did not paint the chipboard sentiment with gesso before spraying with chalkboard glimmer mist. I got a rich, blue color on the chipboard with that technique. The chipboard clock was painted and then just lightly pressed onto some paper towel that I had sprayed with the chalkboard mist. I has just a bit of color, plus some pattern from the paper towel! 


Once I had all of my surfaces of the box covered with paper, I began to glue flowers and other embellishments to the front of the box. I broke my "no flowers for boy projects" rule this time! Since this is a baby project, I thought some sweet white and blue flowers would be perfect.

I tucked painted metal Staples, crystal pins, and postage images in with the flowers. 


The wood butterflies started out a tan color, but I painted them with gesso and sprayed them with the chalkboard mist.


The "new baby" chipboard sentiment was "raw chipboard" that I sprayed with the mist.  I also added a clear glass bottle and some wire "spirals" to the box. I pretty much  keep gluing stuff on until it looks "right."


I had such fun creating this box. Now I have to decide who to give it to! I know a few folks you would love to have it.... {wink}
Graphic 45 Paper:
Little Darlings: Bundle of Joy, New Arrival, Baby Borders, Lullaby
Secrete Garden: Posy Patch, April Showers

Graphic 45 Staples:
Altered Art Matchbook Box (12 x 12), Ornate Metal Keys, Ornate Metal Key Holes, Metal Brads, Ornate Metal Door Plate

Other supplies:
Lace: Really Reasonable Ribbon
Flowers: Wild Orchid Crafts
Butterflies: Prima
Pins: Maya Road
Chipboard: Imaginarium Designs
Die cut shapes: Sizzix Tim Holtz Alterations Weathered Clock, Elegant Flourishes
Wire: unknown
Chalkboard mist: Tattered Angels Peacock
Cardstock: WorldWin Papers ColorMates Heritage White; Bazzill Lakeshore
Gesso: Liquitex
Glass bottle: Tim Holtz Idea-ology
Adhesive: Scrapbook Adhesives by 3L foam squares; Scotch 3M ATG tape; Aleene's Tacky Glue; Beacon Fabri-tac, 3 in 1 Glue

14 comments:

  1. Absolutely amazing with all those gorgeous details!! I'm sure whoever gets this piece of art will be delighted! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stunning...Little Darlings is one of the collections that I don't have, hmmmm....may have to get me some,,,

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a precious keepsake - just gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so gorgeous, Gloria! I love the idea of the shadow box for this! I have these papers and love them...I have saved every little piece of leftovers even! Blessings! Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Priceless! I love this piece! You really outdid yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gloria - this is beyond gorgeous. I so enjoyed taking in every breathtaking detail here - what an amazing gift this will make. Love the colors and all the wonderful details - this is a true keepsake!
    Blessings,
    Audrey

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous box with amazing details! ~ Blessings, Tracey

    http://gracescraps.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. great altered box, i have one of those and i have to design it for the core. thanks for the inspiration and detail.... i think i need to get out my sketch pad and start reflecting upon how i want my rainforest pcs to look!!! smile

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is so precious, Gloria..and I personally love the posies! A real keepsake!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh Gloria, it won't be the same on G45 without you! This is completely adorable! I am using these papers for an altered frame but am stuck? Will keep this image & see if it helps me become 'unstuck', lol...
    Thank you for all the inspiration! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is such inspiration for me! I need to make weldcome brandbaby gift for a friend. Something like yours' would be perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  12. awesome work Gloria, love the little images with the flowers . fabulous details :) take care :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a precious keepsake you have created Gloria...

    ReplyDelete