Wednesday, December 07, 2011

Design Team 411

Happy Wednesday, Blogger peeps! It's been a rough few days here, with my 11 year old driving me bananas, my husband out of the country, and the cold weather. Yes, highs of 50s and lows of 30s is cold for San Diego!

I'm writing this post in response to a few questions I've had from folks recently - about design teams. Specifically about the Spellbinders Design Team Contest. A few ladies have asked me for some advice on applying to teams, especially to the Spellbinders 2012-2013 team.

Let me first say, the deadline for Round 1 entries is Friday, December 9th. So, if you are applying, get busy! 

2011 Round 1 Submission

I will also tell you that I am NOT applying for the 2012-2013 Spellbinders Team. When you don't see my name up for Round 2, you won't be surprised! {wink}

I have loved my term with Spellbinders and am happy that it lasts through March 2012. I've learned a lot with this team and have enjoyed being on the forefront of the die cutting industry for the past year!

For those of you who ARE applying, I have some advice. This is my advice ONLY and NOT a guarantee that you will make the team if you follow these recommendations. These are my OBSERVATIONS and what worked for me.

1. When you submit your art, do your best work, and make it of "professional" quality.

2. The rule of thumb for projects is that the die cuts should be one of the first things a viewer notices when they look at your project. A viewer should see the die cut shapes right away!

3. Think out of the box! Use the dies in a unique way or with unique products.

4. Stay true to your personal style. Spellbinders will look for all types of design styles to round out the team. Don't try to do "clean and simple" if your style is shabby chic. Or vice verse. Do you. You don't want to spend 12 months doing someone else's style!

5. You should LOVE working with all types of die shapes. The team must be able to work with EVERYTHING that Spellbinders makes. Again, if you are unhappy working with certain types of die templates, you will be unhappy for 12 months!

6. It's helpful if you are comfortable with cards, scrapbook pages, and mixed media items. You will need to do all three types of art every month.

 2011  Round 2 Submission

If you love designing, love Spellbinders products, love working with die cut shapes, love thinking out of the box...APPLY to this amazing team! Spellbinders is a wonderful and generous company to work with. The ladies (and gents) you meet on this journey will bless your life.

Favorite Mixed Media Project

I regret that I cannot show you the projects I made for the final round last year, but the projects I've posted today give you an idea of some of the things I do for Spellbinders. If you want to see  more work by current team, visit the Idea Gallery. If you don't see your style there...APPLY. They probably need you! {grin}

1 comment:

  1. Gloria, thank you so much for this post. I have been following your blog for several months as I love Spellbinders, though I think I first found you on the Graphics 45 blog...
    I put in my submission to Spellbinders when their DT call first came up, so have been keeping my fingers crossed and can't wait until the 14th to see whether I get through to the second round... It was sooo helpful to see your submissions! I will miss seeing your contributions for Spellbinders next year, but wish you all the best for whatever next is on your way. God bless

    ReplyDelete