Friday, August 30, 2013

Chalkboard Bookmarks

Today is my day on the WorldWin Blog! I have created a pile of bookmarks, perfect to give as little back-to-school gifts. The chalkboard stamping technique is so popular right now, that I decided to incorporate it into my little bookmark making party!

I went through my stash of stamps looking for interesting text combinations that also would work well for bookmark sentiments. Then I sorted through my die cut templates to find shapes that would work for bookmarks. I actually had a few bookmark templates, but I also pulled out other shapes that seemed to work well for this project.

I cut all of the shapes from ColorMates Heritage Black cardstock. The smooth finish on the Heritage Black is perfect for my "mini chalkboards." I stamped all the sentiments with white ink, and I embossed each sentiment with white embossing powder. I was a little "messy" with my powder to give that chalkboard look.

I used some white pigment ink to rub the edges of each die cut shape. I also smudged the paper a bit, all for that realistic chalkboard look.


I die cut some background shapes from Treasures Pitch Black and Textured Red Denim cardstock, and used a tiny bit of printed cardstock. This a good way to use up scraps of cardstock!  I traced some lines around the edges of the shape with a white pen.


 I created this flag-shaped bookmark so that it would slip over the top of the page. The paper button and twine don't add much bulk, making the bookmark the perfect thickness.


These three bookmarks are super simple. I used just a bit of ribbon and some paper scraps to finish them. To make the bookmarks a bit more sturdy, I die cut some of the shapes a second time and glued the two together.

This is one of those projects you can do in bulk in an evening.

Thanks for looking!


WorldWin Papers:
Treasures Pitch Black
ColorMates Heritage Black
Textured Denim Red

Die templates: My Favorite Things, Taylored Expressions, Papertrey Ink
Stamps: My Favorite Things, Hampton Art, Our Daily Bread Designs, Taylored Expressions, Stampin' Up!
Designer paper: Graphic 45 An ABC Primer, Place in Time
Ink: Stampin' Up! Whisper White; Clearsnap Colorbox Pigment Frost White
Embossing powder: white
Pen: Sakura Gelly Roll white
Ribbon and twine: Really Reasonable Ribbon 
Buttons: unknown
Adhesive: Double-sided tape , adhesive dots

7 comments:

  1. Anonymous6:54 AM

    What a great idea Gloria! Love the quotes that you chose too. This would be a great gift for students or teachers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous job on this ensemble!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. super FUN :)

    just got a box of this paper as a DT i am on will be doing a blog hop in oct with WorldWin :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great idea! Quick and easy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my gosh, these are wonderful!! Absolutely love the chalkboard look & they make such a perfect set; be great for stocking fillers etc.
    I really NEED some decent sentiment stamps but they are so pricey. I will have to have one month where I only buy sentiment stamps. The following month Will be bookmark dies/templates, lol. Oh dear?! Thank you! :)))

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Gloria stunning tags and what a great idea to make a book mark with them .Thank you for the inspiration.
    Smiles
    Ita in Ireland

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey there, Rock Star!!! LOVE these bookmarks!!!! Such a fun idea!!! The papers you chose are perfect for the old-time school look! Mwaaah!!

    ReplyDelete