Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Watercolor Fun!

I am up on the WorldWin Blog today with a fun little card. when I was at the art store a few weeks ago, I found a wonderful product for super cheap. I have been wanting to try it out...so here goes!



I used WorldWin ColorMates Smooth Black cardstock to make a 5 x 5-inch card. Then I wanted to use my new "toy" to create background paper.




First I taped a plastic stencil to a piece of ColorMates Smooth White cardstock. The stencil is pretty new and I have not used it before. I love polka dots, so here goes!

Now, for my new, cheap find! I found this palette of beautiful pearlescent watercolor paints in the kids' section of the art store for under $4! They are wonderful to work with, plus they give you a permanent, shimmery effect on the paper! No need to "set" the color!

I misted the different shades of blue paints with my bottle of water. Then I painted a thin layer of color over the stencil. (I ended up using a foam brush to get the coverage I wanted.)



When working with stencils, make sure to wipe them clean before the ink or paint dries. I used a heat tool to dry the paper. And ta da, a sheet of polka dot background paper!

I trimmed the polka dot paper to slightly smaller than the card front and wrapped it with ribbon before attaching it to the card.


I used WorldWin Elan Metallics Spectral Blue, and Petallics Sky Pilot and Black Ore cardstock to 
create the banner and umbrella. I have loads of die cuts in my stash....I simply picked through them and found this umbrella and the star banner.



I stamped a sentiment onto ColorMates Smooth Black cardstock with white ink. I embossed with white embossing powder. I love the chalkboard look. To take it a step further, while the paper was still in the label die template, I traced around the inside edge with a white pen.

I finished off the front with a bow, topped with a button and some twine.



I always like an "insider" so I used black dye ink to stamp a sentiment onto ColorMates Smooth White cardstock. Then, I repeated the watercolor technique on the right edge of the paper. I added another die cut umbrella. I used the white pen to add some stitching to this one. (The inside umbrella is basically the leftovers from the one I made on the front!)

The shimmer of the WorldWin Elan Metallics and Petallics cardstock looks amazing with the sparkle of the pearlescent watercolor! I cannot believe I found those paints for under $4! Happy day! I also love how the colors and the white pop against the black! Not my normal type of card....but I love how it turned out! 

Thanks for looking!
WorldWin Papers:
ColorMates Smooth Black, White
Elan Metallics Spectral Blue
Petallics Sky Pilot, Black Ore

Ink: Tsukineko Memento Tuxedo Black; Stampin' Up Whisper White
Embossing powder: Hampton Art
Watercolors: Yasutomo Pearlescent Watercolors
Stencil: The Crafter's Workshop Mini Swiss Dot
Pen: Sakura Gelly Roll White
Stamps: My Favorite Things Blue Skies Ahead; Our Daily Bread Designs Mini Tags 1
Die cut templates: Spellbinders Labels Twenty-five; My Favorite Things Umbrella; Papertrey Ink Banners
Flower punch: Stampin' Up
Twine and Ribbon: Really Reasonable Ribbon
Button: unknown
Adhesive: Scotch 3M ATG tape; Scrapbook Adhesives by 3L 3D Foam Squares; Aleene's Tacky Glue

5 comments:

  1. Wow! I love it! What a great find that paint set was. I love all the shades of blue. This may not be yout typical type of card, but it sure is fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That did turn out great! Love the polka dots! That's a lot of fun for only $4, great find!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely card! And isn't it such a thrill when you get a good buy and it actually works out the way you want?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just beautiful inside and out!!

    ReplyDelete