Monday, April 29, 2019

Retro Recipe Album

Good morning, Crafters! It is my turn again on the Authentique Paper Blog! I have a LARGE project share for this last Monday in April. This is the perfect gift for your mom, mother-in-law, sister, or friend for Mother's Day, coming up on May 12th!
I created a 8 3/4" x 8 1/4" x 2" two-ring recipe mini album! This is jam packed with pockets, tuck spots, and space for all your recipe cards and photos. I have use the Ingredient Collection, plus some bits and pieces of the Party, Fabulous, Homestead, and Saucy Collections.
There are four tabbed sections to this book. It got a little full, so if I was going to give this to someone, I may take out one of the sections.
There are so many places to tuck your recipe cards away, plus add photos and jounaling. This is a wonderful remembrance book, but since the recipe cards can be removed, it is functional as well. 

To see the full project, view the video below.




To help you make your own project, here are a few tips.

I used a pre-made 2-ring album for my project (Graphic 45). But you could make your own book out of chipboard and then add one of the Tim Holtz D-ring binders to your spine. 

The album came with a selection of ivory pages, some with pockets, kraft pages, and vellum pages. I did not use the plain ivory pages nor the kraft pages. I substituted other paper (see below). I saved out one of the kraft pages to use for marking my holes for the ring binding.
I added some black cardstock, and then some printed paper to the front cover. I used one of the large cut-aparts and a few other bits and pieces to decorate. I wanted to keep the book a bit flat rather than glue the whole kitchen sink to the cover!
I did add a loopy twine bow and  a mini fork and knife. 
I covered the inside of the album with paper, including fussy cutting a piece to go around the ring binding (this part is very fiddly, but I like the look, so I did it!). 
I also added some cardstock and paper to the back cover.
To created the waterfall pockets for the inside front and back covers, I used two pre-made pocked and flip fold inserts (Heartfelt Creations). 
Naturally, I customized my inserts! I did not care for the curvy edge on the top flap, so I used an edge die to cut it into a fancy envelope shape. I did the same for the back insert. 
The front insert attaches to the inside front cover of the book, and is 8 3/4" x 6 1/4" and 1/4" thick. (See the video above for all the flips and folds. I added a few extra flip-outs to mine!)
The back insert attaches to the inside back cover of the book, and is 8 3/4" x 4 1/2" and 1/4" thick. (See the video above for all the flips and folds.) Both inserts have a waterfall element inside!
The pre-made album that I used came with four tabbed packet pages. They were ivory, so I rubbed all the edges with black ink before covering them with paper. I used a tab die to cut out the paper for each tab.
I covered the pocket on each page with paper that coordinated with the top of the page, matching the pocket and the tab. I used both 12x12 and 8x8 pads of the Ingredient Collection
For the reverse of each page, I used Spectrum Cardstock for the top of each page and coordinated it with the bottom prints. I used Caribbean, Lady Bug, Black Jack, Blue Hawaii, and Antique Lace cardstock.
The tabbed pocket pages can hold a lot of recipe cards (Ingredient Ten).
The pre-made album also came with a selection of vellum pages. I added paper strips to one edge to reinforce the holes. Then, I cut a 4 1/2" square of paper in half on the diagonal to create page pockets.  
I matched up the paper on the reverse side of the vellum pages, to make pockets on both sides.
The vellum pocket pages are fun in that you can use the pockets, or just have it is a "cover" for the next page.
The Ingredient Collection comes with lots of recipe cards and cut-apart cards, but I also used a few large tags (Graphic 45) as well.
The tabbed pages have a pocket on both sides! The vellum pockets can hold tags or recipe cards.
I created four black pages by cutting black cardstock to 8 1/4" x 6 1/2", then covered both sides with paper. 
I tried to coordinate the paper on the front and back so the book would flow well.
I also created four red cardstock pages in the same manner. 
 And covered both sides with paper.
I wanted some extra pockets so I used four black envelopes (6 1/2" x 6 1/2") and four red envelopes (7 1/4" x 5 1/4"). 
The red envelopes were a little narrow because of where the holes need to be located, so I added some paper strips to extend the envelope to 5 1/2" wide. A 7" x 5" card will fit into each envelope without interfering with the holes.
Each of the envelopes holds a card. The black envelopes hold a 6 x 6" card. You can also put recipe cards or photos into the envelopes.
Make sure you watch the video walk through to see every page, flip out, and tuck spot!


Thank  you so much for looking!


Authentique Supplies Used:

Ingredient Collection: 12x12 Paper, 8x8 Paper, Stickers
Party Collection: 12x12 Paper, Stickers
Fabulous Collection: 12x12 Paper, Die Cut Shapes
Homestead Collection: 12x12 Paper
Saucy Collection: 12x12 Paper
Spectrum Series: Caribbean, Lady Bug, Black Jack, Blue Hawaii, Antique Lace

Additional Supplies Used: 

Pre-made 2-ring album: Graphic 45 Mixed Media Album (Ivory)
Pre-made flip/fold inserts: Heartfelt Creations (Black)
Cardstock: WorldWin Midnight Smooth, Red Twill, Natural Smooth
Envelopes: CutCardStock Basis Red (70#, A7), WorldWin Black Ore (80#, Square)
Metal embellishments: unknown
Enamel dots: Simple Stories Emoji Love
Twine: Craft supply
Magnets: Basic Grey
Large tags: Graphic 45 Regular and Square (Black)
Die cut templates: My Favorite Things Stitched Scallop Basic Edge, Stitched Basic Edge, Tabs
Adhesives: Hot glue, white, glue, Scor-tape, ATG tape, Foam squares, Glue Dots

2 comments:

  1. Fabulous project, Gloria, a gift that anyone who loves cooking and baking would love to receive. Authentique's Retro paper design is delightful. tfs

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a treasure and keepsake this is! I am particularly fond of vellum and those pages are pretty and functional. Any recipient would be delighted and honored to receive this. This would make a great prize at a family reunion. Sharing the family recipes in it and having a raffle to raise money for a favorite charity.

    ReplyDelete