Saturday, October 31, 2020

Coloring Book Saturday!

Hello, Crafters! I have had these pages colored for a few weeks, and really wanted to get them posted for Halloween...which is today! I don't really celebrate Halloween, but I do love autumn!

I love the Romantic Tale books by Eriy. These coloring books are so sweet and whimsical. These pages are from the Third Tale book. This book is out of print in the US, but you can find it online if you wish to pay very high postage! The author is Japanese, hence the difficulty in finding the books in America.

This page is the farmer's market page, which I colored mostly with Schpirerr Farben oil-based colored pencils. The background (wood, stones, etc.) was done with Prismacolor Premier was-based colored pencils.
You can see from the original page that there is NO stone floor in the picture! I drew the stones by hand! I am not an artist, not in any sense of the word. But...I felt I could probably draw stones!
Here is how the stone flooring turned out! I am pretty happy with it. The original drawing has a few perspective issues, which means so does my floor, but that is part of the quirky charm!
I live in San Diego county California, so I decided to make my farmer's stall have a bit of a Mexican flair to it. (Please excuse the glare. The pencils render fairly shiny on this paper, so they were catching the glare from my lights.)

This is only the second page I have colored in this particular book. I have so many books that I just piddle paddle around coloring here and there in them!

The first page I colored in this book is below.
This was an experimental page! I wanted to try out ONLY Crayola colored pencils to see how they would perform. Crayola are a hard wax pencil with very low pigment. 

You can see that this page is not as vibrant as the first page I shared. It is more pastel in content, but the colors are still fairly washed out. That is the problem with Crayola! However, it is difficult for me to get true pastels from the softer pencils like Prismacolor, so I love how the pink Crayola bike turned out! 

The background was done with Prismacolor NuPastel sticks and a stencil I made with a die cut border. 

I spray my finished pages with a fixative just to keep the color from rubbing off on any facing page. I choose a matte finish fixative. The one I normally use is a Prismacolor product but I cannot find the matte version online for you. I also have a matte workable fixative made by Krylon

I hope you had fun looking at my coloring book pages! There will be more to come! 


No comments:

Post a Comment