Monday, March 21, 2022

Distress Ink Backgrounds Using Stencils

 

Well, my lovelies! I recorded all sorts of video for you, but I was having issues with the sound, plus it is not exactly quiet around here right now! Then several of the videos were corrupted when I tried to download them. At any rate, there is no video, just this blog post. (Don't you hate technology sometimes?!)

I had the idea to post about using Distress Inks for backgrounds on coloring pages and in coloring books, for my coloring friends. I did not want to recreate the wheel as there is a myriad of tutorials out there about Distress Inks, however, some folks in the adult coloring community are new to this fabulous product! 

"Tim Holtz Distress Inks are a collection of water based, fade resistant, dye inks formulated to create aged vintage effects on papers and other porous surfaces. The innovative properties of Distress Ink are unlike any other inks since they react with water and maintain color integrity. Available in 3x3 and mini pads."

I have been a Distress Ink fan since the beginning (around 2004) and have the full set of inks, except for the newest one (Saltwater Taffy). I love the inks because they blend very well on all sorts of paper,and the colors are so fantastic!

The inks come in 69 colors (as of this post) and in two sizes. The larger pads are approximately 3" x 3" and the mini size pads are about and inch square. I have a selection of the two sizes, plus I have some of the re-inkers. I purchase the re-inkers as I need them. My original set of pads from 2004 are still going strong since I re-ink them as needed.

For beginners, I recommend you purchase one or two larger pads or one of the mini sets to see if you like the ink or not. Choose colors that you think you would use: blues for sky and sea, green for landscapes, and so forth.

For a free copy of the color chart, click HERE.
You will also need some blending or ink applicator tools. I like to use blender brushes the most (the brushes I have are similar to THESE), but I also use the foam applicators and blender handles, and the ink daubers. I also use the ink as watercolor with a water brush or regular paint brush.

My favorite way to use these inks in my coloring books is with stencils. I have a huge amount of stencils and templates that I have collected over the years. 
Since bokeh (the aesthetic quality of the blur produced in out-of-focus parts of an image) backgrounds are very popular right now, I wanted an easy way to achieve one on my coloring page. 

I have several sizes of THESE circle templates, and used them along with various colors of Distress Ink to create a faux bokeh background. I just loaded the blender brush with ink and swished it around the circle opening. Easy! 
I tried to color the rest of the background with pale blue ink, with dubious results. I wish I had just waited and used colored pencil for that part! But I love how the bokeh turned out!
I also like to use die cut borders and other shapes as stencils. Since I already have tons of dies, it is easy to cut shapes from cardstock scraps to create stencils. I used several (very old) cloud dies to cut out some cloud borders. 
By placing the cloud borders at various spots on the page, and using various colors of Distress Ink, I colored the whole background as clouds.

I eventually scanned and printed part of this page so I could make a mask for the owl in the center. I attached the mask with removable tape, then continued my cloud formations. {smile}
And within a few minutes I had a completed background. I can now color my picture with colored pencils. Plus my owl is ink free!

You can also use actual stencils to....ah....stencil your picture! I used a brick wall stencil and various brown and green Distress Inks to create this background.
I finished off the page by coloring the center with colored pencils and adding my name with a drawing pen.

Coloring books in post order:
World of Flowers by Johanna Basford
Animorphia by Kerby Rosanes
Ivy and the Inky Butterfly by Johanna Basford

 


 


1 comment:

  1. ooooh.. I LOVE this! I've seen Distress Inks and recently acquired that set in a haul. Good to know how to use them, and I never understood what "Bokeh" is, so that is helpful too. Thank you very much, Gloria! As always, you rock!

    ReplyDelete