Tuesday, July 04, 2023

You're a Grand Old Flag

Happy Independence Day, United States of America! 
I am a true patriot and love my country, despite, or maybe because of, our many flaws. I am the daughter, niece, and sister of patriots who fought for our country on foreign soil or held the line here at home. I am proud of the service of my family members. I am proud of the "great experiment" that is the USA. May we manage to hold on to it for a while longer! 
You're a grand old flag,
You're a high-flying flag,
And forever in peace may you wave.
You're the emblem of the land I love,
The home of the free and the brave.
Ev'ry heart beats true
'Neath the Red, White and Blue,
Where there's never a boast or brag.
But should auld acquaintance be forgot,
Keep your eye on the grand old flag.
by George M. Cohan, 1906 for the musical George Washington, Jr. 

I purchased a bundle of cross stitch charts from Ebay a few months ago, and in the pile was this one by Bent Creek called Flag 1998. I naturally fell in love with it and had to start stitching it right away! 
I finished the stitching a week or so ago, and then fully finished it for display on Wednesday! Talk about cutting it close! I used 18 count Vintage Smokey White Aida from Zweigart. It is a mottled fabric, perfect for an vintage looking project! 

I chose my own DMC floss colors as the pattern called for a hand-dyed fancy floss, which I don't have. I just went through my floss boxes and chose colors that I liked. The hardest color to choose was the "antique white" for the flag. I wanted something dark enough to show up on the fabric, but pale enough to still read  as "white." I ended up using DMC 613.

The original pattern had the year "1998" stitched in a box. I obviously did not wish to use that year, but I waffled between 1776 and 2023. There was not enough space to put "2023" inside a box, so I altered the numbers to mimic the way the "O" was stitched in the alphabet, and left off the box. Personalized and perfect (to me).

I added a strip of paper and a star charm to the bottom of the piece, mostly to camouflage the fact that I had placed it onto the chipboard with more space at the bottom than the top! It is really difficult to keep the stitching all even and centered! But, after YEARS of paper crafting you learn tricks for fixing these sorts of errors! {grin}

I loved stitching on the 18 count fabric! I don't think my eyes are capable of stitching on linen or evenweave in smaller counts, but, with my magnifying light, I was able to stitch on the 18 count wonderfully! 

I do regret not also stitching "1776" on the left side...but there will be other opportunities to stich more patriotic projects, right?!? In fact, I just ordered the pattern, fabric, and floss to stitch a large patriotic piece for next year, along with several other charts that I hope to also stitch! Yay, me!
I finished the piece as a flat-fold easel. I used some really ancient paper from my stash! It had no markings on it, and was in a pad, but without a cover or anything to identify it. My stash of patriotic papers is down to the dregs. I need to replenish!
I placed the finished piece, which measures 6 1/8" x 8 5/8", onto my tiered try in my front room, just in front of the window that overlooks our courtyard. I love it! I am strongly considering creating a year round patriotic wall or shelf. 

Note: The finished stitching is 4 1/8" x 6 5/8". I added a 1" border when I attached it to the chipboard. I then added another border when attaching to the easel. 
I created a display on the large sideboard in our front entryway space. This is a room without purpose, except to house our Christmas tree! We do not need it for anything as we have a place for a living room and dining room, so this open room is just not useful except to play with the cats and hold the tree during Christmas! 

So the big sideboard lives here, and I decorate it with décor that matches the house, and with extra seasonal items when possible. I create a lot of patriotic items, and drag out my feruvites each year! 
This mixed media panel is one of my favorite things! I love looking at it.

I could not figure out how to hang the banner, so it is just sitting on the top. I hope the cats to NOT get interested in it! 
I think this banner went to one of the CHA shows one year!
The hallway to the bedrooms has a built in nook that I decorate seasonally. It is fun to find things to put here for each season or holiday! I am hoping to find something to hang on the wall, but so far nothing as floated my boat! 
The tray holds all sorts of things I have made! This year I had to make a few repairs as things were starting to fall apart from being stored away.
This is a project I used to keep in my old craft room year around. I love it. I am so sad that Authentique is no longer making paper. Because, boy oh boy, they had some amazing stuff! 
I finally have a use for all of those loose flowers I had to buy 15 years ago! Or maybe longer ago than that!! They came in little milk bottles from...Prima, perhaps. So far the cats have NOT noticed them! 
I am addicted to patriotic stitching!
Happy 4th of July, America! Enjoy your freedoms! 



*For the Bent Creek Flag project only*

Pattern: Bent Creek Flag 1998 (BC1056)
Fabric: Vintage Smoky White 18 count Zweigart Aida
Floss: DMC 613, 640, 676, 680, 834, 677, 816, 3021, 336
Patterned paper: unknown
Cardstock: ColorMates Smooth Black (for the easel hinge)
Chipboard: Grafix
Charm: from my stash
Adhesive: Score-tape, Art Glitter Dries Clear Glue, ATG tape





1 comment:

  1. your patriotic displays look terrific, I love your card, you can't go wrong with an old truck and barn :). your ribbon treatment with the flowers is lovely. Your stitching is terrific too! Happy 4th!

    ReplyDelete